Dr.Jesse Levine and George Sanderson were the organizers of the American Legion in Spring Valley. They invited the ex-servicemen of the Village to meet at the home of Dr. Levine, late in November, 1920; at this meeting a Post of the American Legion was formed and the following temporary officers were chosen:Commander, George Sanderson; 1stVice Commander, Charles E. Hopper; 2nd ViceCommander, John Collins; 3rd ViceCommander, H.A. Miller; Treasurer, H.W.Nelson;Adjutant, H.P. Harrap; Ass't Adjutant, H. Rosenbrock; Post Surgeon, Dr. Jess A.Levine; Sergeant at Arms, Gary Onderdonk; Ass't Sergeant at Arms, Julian Boorman. The new Post was named for Private Anthony Moscarella, the first Spring Valley boy to give his life for his country in the World War. The temporary headquarters of the Post was at the home of Dr. Levine.
On December 17, 1925, Donald R. Sherwood was elected Commander of the Moscarella Post #199, American Legion and the next month the Post occupied clubrooms of its own on Main Street. On October 25, 1927, James E. Cureton was elected Commander of the Post at the annual meeting at the Post's headquarters. Sidney Kearsing was elected Commander of the Post on August 8, 1929. The next month work was started on the memorial building of the Post.
The cornerstone laying and dedication of the memorial building took place onFebruary 12, 1930. The building was formally dedicated according to American Legion ritual by Post Commander Sidney Hearsing.
On March15, 1923 the Ladies Auxiliary, Moscarella Post #199, American Legion was organized at a meeting at the Spring Valley Hook and Ladder House. Mrs. Eloise May Levine was elected the first president. The charter members were; Mrs. Antonetta Moscarella, Mrs. Sayde Brill, Mrs. Minnie Sanderson, Mrs. Edna Wallace, Grace Rosenbrock, Mrs. Clara Benjamin, Mrs. Alma Grahn, Mrs. Mary Sherwood, Mrs. Kate D. Moles, Mrs. Anna Voorhis, Carrie Schaefer and Mrs. Nora Moles.